STUDENT-LED TEACHING AWARDS 2017
The UELSU Student Led Teaching Awards recognise and reward those academic and support staff members who are committed to delivering great teaching/supervision and enhancing the student experience. It is a chance for students to nominate university staff and highlight good practice of not just teaching but engaging with students.
This is the fifth year that students have the chance to nominate in these awards. UEL and the Students’ Union want to commend and award those staff who go above and beyond in their roles and who continue to promote excellence in their teaching/supervision and passion in their field. Nominated by students and awarded by a panel of student judges and one non-academic and non student facing Staff. These awards are all about what the students think.
With the awards covering a range of aspects related to the academic and learner experience, from student feedback to student experience impact, students have full control of who is awarded these prestigious awards including the highly coveted Best Lecturer of the year award and Dissertation/ Project Supervisor of the year award. Last year we received a total of 458 nominations so this year lets make it bigger and better!!!
Most Innovative Teaching
- Innovative teaching helps higher education organisation improve best practice for the next generations. Has any teacher impressed you in their fantastic new approach?
- What have they done to make it so interesting?
- Do they have a passion for teaching, and engage their whole class in every lecture?
- Has your teacher added anything special to the learning experience?
- Have they used a diverse range of teaching methods that reflects the range of needs of the student body?
- Do they adopt engaging and innovative ways of teaching, such as technological enhancements or teaching based outside of the lecture room?
For this category, Please nominate through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/mostinnovative17
Best Personal Tutor
- Teaching in tutorials is stimulating, enthusiastic and consistently challenging, stemming from expert knowledge of the subject, how to teach it and how learners learn
- Discussion, debate, co-operation, and peer-to-peer assessment among students are encouraged by tutor
- Tutors that encourage and facilitate active learning
- Tutors that give prompt and formative feedback
- Tutors that use new and interesting techniques to engage and educate students.
- Tutors that are responsive to student concerns and difficulties and aid the individuals in overcoming their problems.
- Tutors that use flexible methods to communicate their point, leaving the student with a strong grasp of their subject area and a desire to learn more.
For this category, Please nominate through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/bestpersonaltutor17
Best Support Staff
- Is there someone in the university, who is not involved in teaching directly, but whose contribution and support makes a massive difference to your life as a student? (They could be from Maintenance, Catering, Students' Union, Sports Dock etc)
- Ability to go beyond the requirements of the job by providing a wide range of support such as academic, pastoral, administrative and career support
- The support offered by the staff member acts as a motivation and an inspiration towards the student
- Personality attributes that help heighten the positive effect of practical advice being offered to students
- Excellent understanding of the needs of students have when seeking out a member of support staff
- Available to assist students wherever possible
For this category, Please nominate through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/bestsupport17
Best Dissertation or Project Supervisor
- Have you had a Supervisor who has worked tirelessly in making sure they have given you constructive comments so that you can get the grades you deserve for your dissertation?
- Have they motivated and inspired you in any way?
- Have they lead you in the right direction to find what you were looking for?
- Have they adapted their teaching style around you?
- Has feedback been helpful and been returned in an effective and timely fashion?
For this category, Please nominate through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/DissertationOrProject17?
- The Best Feedback Award will be awarded to a member of Academic Staff, or a Postgraduate Student who teaches, that has offered exceptional feedback through innovative and constructive ways.
- Provides feedback in a timely fashion, with constructive comments and clearly described areas for improvement.
- Provides resources to allow students to complete their assignments to a suitable level, such as lectures, additional reading or laboratory time.
- Provides feedback in innovative ways, such as face to face, or through individualised emails
- Allows students to contact them regarding any feedback queries.
For this category, Please nominate through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/bestfeedback17
- The Best Lecturer of the Year Award will be given to an inspirational member of academic staff, or a Postgraduate Student, who teaches in innovative and captivating ways; and engages with students in their learning beyond what is expected.
- A true passion for lecturing, and engages the whole class in every lecture.
- Is knowledgeable in their area, and provides structured seminars and tutorials that add to the learning experience.
- Actively challenges students in class and encourages critical thinking.
- Uses a diverse range of teaching methods that reflects the range of needs of the student body.
- Adopts engaging and innovative ways of teaching, such as technological enhancements or teaching based outside of the lecture room.
For this category, Please nominate through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/bestlecturer17
Nominees from previous years
Academic Year 2015-16
Academic Year 2014-15