University of East London Students' Union Privacy Notice
This notice should explain when and why the Students’ Union may collect your personal data, how we use it and the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.
From time to time we may change this notice so please ensure that you check our website regularly.
If you have any questions about this policy and our privacy statement please contact the students union via email. email@example.com or by writing to University of East London Students’ Union 4- 6 University Way London E16 2RD. Alternatively you can contact by phoning 020 8223 7025.
Who are we?
We are the Students’ Union for the University of East London. We are a registered charitable company limited by guarantee. Registered Company number (insert) and Registered Charity Number (insert). Our organisation exists to work in partnership with the University of East London to ensure that all students are democratically represented to the University, to enhance both your academic and co-curricular activities. We do this by electing student officers who lobby the university on behalf of students to ensure that UEL students get the best possible experience.
The University of East London Students’ Union is a data controller separate to the University of East London and will make decisions about how we use any personal data we collect from you.
How do we collect information about you?
We obtain information from the University which allows you to access the UELSU website via single login using your university credentials. We will also obtain information about you when you contact us by using our social media platforms or when you contact us in person (booking advice appointments for example).
What type of information do we collect?
As an enrolled student at UEL you are automatically a member of the Students’ Union. We collect and use data relating to your personal details including special category data such as information relation to your ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability.
• Student ID Number
• First Name
• Middle Name
• Date of Birth
• University email address
• Phone Number
• Fee Status
• Student Status
• Programme of Study Identification Number
• Level of Study
• Mode of Study
• Year of Study
• Alternative Email Address
• Department of Study
• Faculty of Study
• If in a final year of study or not
• Mode of study
• Term time address
• Term time postcode
The above data is kept until you are no longer hold enrolled student status with the University of East London. Files are deleted and the data kept accurate through a regular encrypted data file (electronic) transfer from the University.
In addition the Union additional data based upon:
• Participation in Union activities and service
• Participation in market research and student voice initiatives
• Use of Student Advice Service
• Joining a UELSU Society
• Photo or filming taken at UELSU Events
• The use of tracking cookies
How is your information use?
We may use your information to:
• To meet our statutory and legal obligations (carrying out Student Elections, informing our members of our Annual General Meetings). Under the 1994 Education Act we have an obligation to conduct fair and democratic elections and to ensure that we meet our charitable objectives.
• To facilitate democratic processes as outlined within our bylaws
• Provide information about the Students’ Union campaigns and services such as Freshers Fairs
• Provide information on social and cultural activities run by the Union, our registered societies and carefully choses partnership providers, where you have given consent.
• To offer support and assistance in dealing with advice case work or housing advice.
• Process orders that you have submitted (purchasing tickets on our website)
• Dealing with entries into a competition
• Seek your views or comments on the services we provide
• Seek you views or comments on services provided by the University of East London
• Notify you of changes to our services;
• Send you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you. These may include information about campaigns, appeals, other fundraising activities, promotions of our events and activities
• Process a job or internship application
• Society membership subscriptions
• Recording engagement within our Democratic systems (Programme Representatives database)
• To target social media engagement through Facebook ads
• Use google analytics to monitor engagement in communications platforms and website usage to improve our communications and services offered to students. If you do not wish for this to happen please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (for example details of elected student representatives). We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
The following is strictly necessary in the operation of our website.
• Remembering what is in your shopping basket
• Remembering where you are in the order process
• Remembering that you are logged in and that your session is secure.
• You need to be logged in to complete an order.
The following are not Strictly Necessary, but are required to provide you with the best user experience and to tell us which pages you find most interesting (anonymously).
• Functional Cookies used to track the pages you visit via Google Analytics
• Targeting Cookies which allow you to share pages with social networks such as:
• Facebook (If available)
• Twitter (If available)
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies which are set on your device then you can do this through your browser settings; the Help function within your browser should tell you how.
Alternatively, you may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org, which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers.
Who has access to your data?
Staff within the Students’ Union have varying degrees of access to some if not all of the information we may hold on you for the purpose of carrying out the activities as listed above as to why we use that information.
Information collect by the Student Support Team is only accessible by members of staff within that team. An advisor may share information with another advisor within the Advice Service but will not share any information with a 3rd party outside the service without the student’s full consent.
We will NOT sell or rent your information to third parties
We will NOT share your information for marketing purposes.
When you are using our secure online payment page, your payment is processed by a third party payment processor, who specialises in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions. If you have any questions regarding secure transactions, please contact us.
We will not contact you for marketing purposes by email, phone or text message unless you have given your prior consent.
We will not share any individual user details (including your email address) to any third party excluding the University of East London without your consent or except to allow for the technical support and the fulfilment of communication messages as specified below:
Membership Solutions Ltd (MSL) www.ukmsl.org our website provider for the sole purpose of technical support.
Advice Pro (https://secure.advicepro.org.uk ) for technical support of our advice service software and for no other purpose or use. Advice Pro shares social Policy themes captured on Advice Pro in an anonymous manner with the National Union of Students.
National Union of Students (NUS) (http://www.nus.org.uk) for the purpose of obtaining national trends and representational themes.
Sage Pay (https://www.sagepay.co.uk ) for the sole purpose of processing your payment transactions from our website.
Where is the Data Held?
Data that is received from the University of East London to provide single sign on to the UELSU website is stored a server based within the European Data Region.
Data related to advice casework is held on a secure server operated and administered by Advice Pro and is located within the United Kingdom
Any data collected within any other applications or server will be clearly outlined to participants at the point of data collection and any data downloaded from any server will be held on encrypted devices or Microsoft OneDrive / Microsoft SharePoint and will only be kept in such locations for the length of time required to process such information for its intended purpose.
If physical copies of data are required, strict procedures will be followed to ensure the data is stored and used in a confidential manner and confidently disposed of after the intended purpose.
For more information how the Union manages and stores data please refer to the Unions data storage policy.
Photos and Filming
UELSU will clearly indicate in its events listing and terms and conditions of event entry where photos or filming will be taking place alongside displaying physical notices.
Attendees at the event have the right to request not be filmed or have a photo taken of them. Should any individual wish to request to not having their photo taken or to be filmed they should make this intention aware to a UELSU staff member at the event.
Any requests for an image or an inclusion in video to be removed from either being stored or publically posted on social media, website or any other form of media contact should be made with the union by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and the images will be removed within 72 hours of the request being made.
Any requests for an image to be removed from a printed publication should be made with the union by emailing email@example.com and the Union will prevent further circulation of the publication and take steps that are practically possible to recall other copies of the publication already in circulation.
Should any individual have any questions about the use of photos and filming they should contact the Union on firstname.lastname@example.org
Every person has rights associated with how their personal data is used and processed. These rights include:
• To be informed what personal data about you the Students’ Union holds and what it is used for
• To access your personal data
• To update the personal data the Students’ Union holds about you
• To be informed how the Students’ Union is complying with its obligations under the Act
• To complain to the Data Protection Officer if you believe that the Data Protection policy has not been followed.
• To complain to the Information Commissioner if you believe that the Data Protection Act has not been followed.
• To have personal data erased where there is no compelling reason for us to keep the data
You have the right to access any personal data that is being kept about you either in electronic or paper files. Requests for access to personal data will be dealt with as quickly as possible and either way within the 40 days required by law. Please make any such requests to email@example.com or in writing to:
University of East London Students’ Union 4 – 6 University Way
London E16 2RD
For request dealing with data obtain and accessible only by the Student Support Team please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You also have the right to request to be withdrawn as a member of the Students’ Union and therefore not to be included in any communications such membership would normally entitle you to receive such as Election or AGM notifications.
We may analyse your personal information to create a profile of your interests and preferences so that we can contact you with information relevant to you.
We will analyse personal and sensitive information and profile it into categories of protected characteristics to enable the Union hold elections for those positions which require a qualifying characteristic for example Women’s Officer.